[efax-users] Re: Can't send fax as USER

Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Rolf,
>
> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 09:09, Rolf Pedersen wrote:
>
>>  - snip -
>>
>>># chown -R fax.fax /var/spool/fax
>>>
>>>(Is there a "." (stop) between fax.fax)
>>>

>>Yes, this works also as fax:fax but I think fax.fax is being adopted as
>>the correct syntax.
>

> # chown -R fax.fax /var/spool/fax
> chown: `fax.fax': invalid user
> # chown -R fax:fax /var/spool/fax
> chown: `fax:fax': invalid user
>
> Could not proceed further

I suspect this is because the group fax does not exist.  You could add
groups with groupadd or, probably, the RH gui program.  What I am
thinking is that the important part is a consistency between
permissions, the files/directories used by efax, and the groups USER
belongs to, whatever they are.

> $ ll /var/spool/fax/
> total 8
> drwxrwxr-x    2 root     uucp         4096 May 27 11:58 incoming
> drwxrwx---    3 lp       lp           4096 May 24 23:56 outgoing
>
> Comparing with your result maybe "outgoing" has problem, not showing as
> "root   uucp"
>
> $ ll /var/spool/fax -d
> drwxrwxr-x    4 root     uucp         4096 May 22 15:10 /var/spool/fax
> $ ll /usr/bin/fax
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        31248 May 22 15:10 /usr/bin/fax
> $ ll /var/lock -d
> drwxrwxrwx    4 root     lock         4096 May 28 11:56 /var/lock
> :

As I recall, one of the problems was with the lock file.  This makes me
wonder if USER is a member of the lock group and whether that would
matter.