increasing reliability (was: Re: [efax-users] Re: efax ML / archive)

Hi Emmanuel,

> The problem I've been having is imho on the efax part,
> though. Some incoming faxes - mainly from Asia but I don't know
> if it's related - couldn't get received correctly by efax. But
> many others get in fine.  I have approx. 20% faxes getting in
> error.

There's a couple of things you can try to increase the
reliability:

- use Class 1 with an old 14.4 USR Sporster (not 28.8 or later)
	or Class 2 (not 2.0) with an old 14.4 modem with a
	Rockwell chipset

- set the maximum speed to 9.6 kbps by setting

	RXCAP="-c 1,3,0,2,0,0,0,0"

	although this will cost the sender a bit more in connect
	time.

Of course, make sure the machine you're using to running efax is
not heavily loaded (load < 1) and has enough memory (no swap
memory used).  Swapping or being preempted at the wrong time
could cause the fax session to fail.

These are not as much of an issue for Class 2 or 2.0 modems, but
unfortunately, the Class 2 and 2.0 firmware doesn't seem to work
as well as the host-based Class 1 driver.

--
Ed Casas  edc@xxxxxxx   http://www.cce.com